Stephen Austin is a family owned business with a long history within its local community. We care about the impact of our business; both in the immediate locale and also across the global society. We are committed to making a positive social and environmental contribution wherever we have an opportunity.
Our company works with our own personnel and the external supply chain, integrating responsible decision making, social responsibility and environmental controls into our day to day business activities. We achieve this integration by:
• Procuring raw materials from sustainable sources; utilising environmentally friendly consumables wherever possible.
• Training and motivating our staff to work in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
• Disposing of company waste in a responsible manner; ensuring waste is recycled, reused or recovered wherever possible.
• Implementing and monitoring both waste and energy management and objectives.
• Complying with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations and maintaining our certification to the ISO 14001 Environmental best practice standard.
We factor sustainability and ethical best practices into our supply chain management through the following means:
• Pre-qualifying all our key suppliers, to ensure they are adhering to environmental and ethical best practices.
• Supplier risk assessments are conducted by our Compliance and Commercial Managers, who have a wealth of expertise in this field.
• Checking that suppliers have the relevant accreditations and adhere to the applicable regulations for their industry sector, e.g. all paper suppliers hold the FSC® chain of custody certification.
Ethical behaviour is integral to the Stephen Austin culture. We take great pride in the work that Stephen Austin does and the contribution it makes to our business sectors. At Stephen Austin, we provide our staff with training in ethical business practices. We are proud to hold certification to the international standard for Anti Bribery and Corruption ISO 37001: 2016. Please see our Business Assurance page for more information.
Throughout the year, we undertake activities such as bake sales and raffles to raise money for charities such as Breast Cancer Now. Our cycling team completed a challenging 50-mile charity ride to raise money for the internationally recognised Tu-Tu Desk Appeal, which provides portable desks for children in the developing world. The Company makes a generous contribution to each activity staff participate in.
As part of the ‘Inspiring the Future‘ initiative, senior women from our team frequently attend schools to speak about their career path – to hopefully inspire young women, and young men.
Our HR team implements the Company’s employment diversity policies and demonstrates Stephen Austin’s ongoing commitment to a fair recruitment process and employment practice.